Increased benefits begin at the end of this month.  The UCCB was increased to $160 per month for each child under the age of six.

The UCCB was expanded to children aged 6 through 17. Parents will receive a benefit of up to $60 per month for each child in their care aged 6 through 17.

Make sure that you are receiving all that you are eligible for by reading the following Q&A.

Do I need to apply for the enhanced benefit?

If you are the parent of a newborn and already applied in 2015 – You will automatically receive the increased payments.

If you are already receiving the UCCB – The increase will be applied automatically.

If you previously applied for, or received the Canada child tax benefit (CCTB) or the UCCB for a child or children who are under 18 and who are still in your care – The increase will be applied automatically.

If you have never applied for, or received, the CCTB or UCCB for a child or children in your care who are under the age of 18 – Yes, you must apply.  You can do so online by using “Apply for child benefits” through the CRA’s My Account online service or, you can complete Form RC66, Canada Child Benefits Application and send it to your tax centre with the supporting documents.

I share custody of my child with my ex-spouse. Who gets to claim the benefit?

If a child lives with two different individuals in separate residences on a more or less equal basis, each individual will get 50% of the payment that they would have received if the child lived with them all of the time.  Each parent would apply for their half of the benefit separately.  If benefits are already being received, and need to be divided between spouses, contact CRA directly at 1-800-387-1193 to advise them of the change.  CRA may request documentation confirming the shared custody arrangement.

When can I expect payments to start?

If you are eligible, and CRA does not request additional information upon receipt of your application, payments typically commence within 3 months.

Will the money be directly deposited to my bank account?

If you already provided your bank account information to the CRA for one or more payments, they will continue to use that bank account to deposit all UCCB payments. For more information or to apply for direct deposit, go to Direct deposit.

This information is of a general nature and should not be considered professional advice. Its accuracy or completeness is not guaranteed and Queensbury Strategies Inc. assumes no responsibility or liability.